Citygate Students and Twenties exists to see radical, faith filled believers equipped to live a life that is drastically counter-culture, but extends immensely powerful love and compassion to the world around them.

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Quick Psalm 31


This is a quick one for you, taken from a Psalm written by Mr King David in reference to his little old life. It's a pretty cool one, not because he wrote it (and most of his as pretty good) but actually because I found it really earthy, really grounded. None of this airy-fairy stuff we all know, but actually a dose of reality check. That's why it's refreshing, and that's probably why I most like it. If you read it all you'll think David's Bi-polar, maybe he was, but this little chunk from the start of Psalm 31 says it pretty well: 

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; 
    let me never be put to shame;
    deliver me in your righteousness. 
Turn your ear to me, 
    come quickly to my rescue; 
be my rock of refuge, 
    a strong fortress to save me.
Since you are my rock and my fortress, 
    for the sake of your name lead and guide me.
Keep me free from the trap that is set for me,
    for you are my refuge. 
Into your hands I commit my spirit; 
    deliver me, Lord, my faithful God.
I hate those who cling to worthless idols; 
    as for me, I trust in the Lord
I will be glad and rejoice in your love,
    for you saw my affliction 
    and knew the anguish of my soul.
You have not given me into the hands of the enemy
    but have set my feet in a spacious place.

He is our rock, our reality, our safe place, our stability in a world of change, our leader of greatest skill and integrity, The One to hand our spirits over to, and The One who came down to earth to live the pain we face daily. He is our redeemer and our king, and we can trust Him 100% of the time. Why? Because He has "set our feet in a spacious place".
Look at where He's placed you, and see the space He's put around you to influence and lead for Him. That's an encouraging, a little bit scary, but revolutionary way to look at the world - I encourage you to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment